Sunday 31 March 2013

Dancing Moonbeams

The challenge at Take A Word this week is 'Moon'.  I've done a piece in my Art Journal and have used it to test and experiment with a new product and some new techniques!

By the light of the dark grey moon :)
 This is a single page from my journal.  I began by spraying the top two thirds of the page with water followed by Rangers colour wash in Stream.  I left it a minute, blotted it with towel and repeated the exercise to ensure all the page was covered.
The bottom third of the page was sprayed with Dylusions in London Blue and then painted with Golden paints Phthalo Blue with a little red brought in closer to the bottom of the page.
The stylised stars are stamped with Memento Ink in Moonlight white and the sea/lake has waves stamped in Archival Ink French Ultramarine.  The foliage at the front is a Hero Arts stamp using StayzOn Black.
Land to the right is painted in various tones of green from Golden Paints.
Then came the moon!.......

Some of you may know that I'm working with various techniques at the moment and this is one I learnt from Andy Skinner.  I couldn't help but notice how much like the craters of the moon it looks, so I scanned my box lid and added some shaping in Photoshop then printed it on Silver Metallic Foil by Personnel Impressions.  In real life it's really shiny.
To finish off, I masked some of the page with paper towels and sprayed from the moon to the water with Perfect Pearls in water.  I sprayed heavily and blotted the sky portion to remove some of the colour wash.  I left the Pearl Spray on the water to hint at reflection.

Thanks for looking and commenting, I really do appreciate it.

17 comments:

  1. I'm so fascinated with the descriptions of your techniques and the lovely colours you use and the moon surface you have created is spectacular. Your final artwork is just gorgeous, all the more so from knowing how it was made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is just amazing. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Admirable effects have you created with the techniques.Love the moon texture just like the beautiful water texture.Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experimentation is working perfectly. I love especially the sky and the moonbeam effect on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful journal page. Thanks for sharing your journey of creation of this lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely Liz thank you for taking the time to explain your technique...beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeously done! The textures are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing textures! This is really, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, Liz, when you take us through the process ... and your journal page is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is incredible. You must be so pleased with how it turned out. Love the moon and the shiny path of moonlight. Great job!xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. just fantastic.. I love this texture!

    fab!
    xxx Susi

    maybe you are interested on our monthly
    ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY

    would be great to meet you there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous art piece. Beautifully created.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is incredible! I love all the details, each is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic page Liz and a wonderful moon with great texture.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is gorgeous! Wonderful techniques. Wish I could see it in real life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz