Tuesday 26 February 2013

Let's crank it up!

The Three Muses challenge this week is the rustle of spring.  I've been sick and away on leave and also incredibly busy at work so was looking forward to this.  However my muse had other ideas, I'm sorry for anyone here expecting to find a landscape or even flowers.

The closest tenuous thread I can tie, is to the spring on the top right hand side, is that enough? :)

Spring driven iPhone 
I started out with a cheap case, I made the gears from plastic, the strap from grunge paper and the spring from 20 gauge brass wire coiled around some thick wire.

Several base coats in various shades of gold and bronze to try and get it close to brass and then I heated it a little to make slight blistering.  All of the bits and pieces were glued on and then I started the painting using Burnt Umber as a base and then dry brushing with Iridescent Bronze by Golden.  The circular piece on the top is meant to represent a compass and is made from a large brad with a matching sized dome.  I had a compass stamp almost the exact size so stamped it on 300gsm paper coloured with Antique Linen distress ink.


It looks incredibly heavy but I can honestly say it's all made of plastic except the brass wire spring and the base of the brad!  I am so very pleased I made this, I love it and may even attack my iPad next!!!

Thanks for looking and I'm sorry my muse took liberties with the brief this week.

13 comments:

  1. Until you said, at the end, that it was not heavy, I did think it was. Does your Spring rustle? - it's a nice take on the subject, a very unusual piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this... a great take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your muse led you in strange and diverse direction, but I love your steampunk Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore your "Spring" I always was a steampunk fan...awesome take on the challenge Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I love steampunk, I absolutely love your piece! Wonderful take on "spring."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you've been unwell, my friend, but your Muse definitely had a little twinkle in her eye when she helped you create this gorgeous 'outside the box' interpretation on spring. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A gorgeous Steampunky piece Liz. Looks so real! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. my imagination is so spring-bound meanwhile, that i can even see flowers in your gears;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Inattendu et amusant détournement du sujet Liz,
    mais pourquoi pas un spring steampunk !!!
    Prenez soin de vous après la maladie.
    Amicalement Mary.kg

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe that this is not made of metal. Fantastic effects.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you're going better and better Liz! :)
    Your work is amazing and your muse were on the top on this very clever 'détournement'!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliantly clever play on words!! Incredible work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz