Sunday 30 September 2012

Such a haunting melody

The challenge this week on Sunday Postcard Art is Haunted.  Being this close to Halloween my thoughts immediately turned to ghosts and ghouls but no inspiration came.  Then I considered that haunting could be taken in a broader sense.  This is my take on Haunted: haunted by sights, memories, smells, flavours and moments in time.
Such a haunting melody

The eagle eyed amongst you will spot that the music is upside down.  I worked with this piece for several hours today and didn't even notice until I saw the photo!

I painted the background with Golden Fluid paints and then stamped a very old piece of line art in blue across the sky area.  I then stamped the music (upside down).


To try and achieve an etherial look for the female image, I stamped it in Sepia Archival ink on white tissue paper before tearing it around the stamp.  I then glued it to the postcard using Soft Gel medium with a layer over the top.  This makes the image translucent.  Here you can see the music and vintage floral stamp through the face.



The heart was cut from cardstock and painted with Quinacridone Magenta mixed with High solids gels (gives peaks).  Once dry, I highlighted the top of the peaks with Iridescent Bronze.

I have no explanation for the heart, other than to say my muse is on a "We are making hearts" kick at the moment.  This the the fourth different heart I've made this weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Your final results are fabulous, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great take on the theme, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the translucent face is great - but i also love the rest (and i´m not eagle-eyed concerning the music;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous take on haunting beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous haunted creation. Love colors and the background with translucent face and notes.
    xox Anja

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful expression and imagery in this beautiful postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, colourful card, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Such a wonderful take on the theme and also the explanation of how you put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I also enjoyed reading about your methods.

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz