Monday 10 September 2012

Everything is coming up roses

The Take a Word challenge this week was Hearts and Flowers.  I  don't usually 'do' cute, romantic things,  I'm more of a brights and bolds type of person.  However, the aim is to challenge myself so off I went into a brave new world!
Hearts and Flowers Box
 I had the idea to take the challenge literally but knew the weight of the flowers and the heart would not be suitable for paper, so I decided to alter a small wooden box.


I have been playing around with the flowers for a few days now until I arrived at a method that resulted in something that looked like a flower.  Eventually I used white card stock, die cut with two separate Sizzix dies and then applied a treatment of water and distress ink.

The heart I made from white polymer clay and imprinted with a floral stamp before baking and colouring with a pale pink paint with iridescent medium, working it well into the grooves.  I then over painted with a colour to match the flowers which turned out to be a kind of apricot although the ink was tattered rose (pink)
 I treated the box to various distress techniques, from crackle paint, distress ink, distressed ribbon etc

This is a view of the crackle paint by Viva, I really like the way it cracks.  I rubbed the cracks with distress ink to get the ink into the cracks before removing the ink from the surface.

I made a video of how I did this and have put it on my YouTube channel here. 

16 comments:

  1. This is absolutely gorgeous Liz! I love how you made the flowers. They look brilliant. Well it all looks brilliant! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulously creative box, Liz. What a marvelous gift that would make. Love your art.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful little box. I love the peach colored flowers and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, Liz, what an exquisite box, beautiful flowers and I love the distressed effects, too, magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your little box Liz!
    You've well done to step into another unusual world!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much for sharing your journey of creation with this art. What a lovely box, and how cleverly made! I'll be watching for the You Tube tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz your altered wodden box is so wonderful, love the heart and flowers on the lid.
    Anni

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW your box is really a master piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! You chose very subtle colors and a clean design, so your little wooden box is far from cute and closer to classical.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your polymer clay heart and distressed flowers are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. bonjour Liz !
    Très jolie réalisation!
    merci pour votre petit mot sur mon blog !
    amicalement mary.kg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it - Liz